Labels

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Jazz Solos

We left off with Langston Hughes and his conversation with Walt Whitman. I want to follow through with Langston and the jazz poets. This is where free verse really begins to explode and expand. Although there is no longer a strict meter or rhyme scheme, the poets wanted to maintain a rhythm and flow to each poem. They represented a shift from purely semantic diction (meaning) and moved to sonic diction. Things got really excited. It became possible to not just appeal to emotions, but to really manipulate and create emotion. Let us look at Langston again, 

The Weary Blues
  by Langston Hughes

Droning a drowsy syncopated tune,
Rocking back and forth to a mellow croon,
     I heard a Negro play.
Down on Lenox Avenue the other night
By the pale dull pallor of an old gas light
     He did a lazy sway . . .
     He did a lazy sway . . .
To the tune o' those Weary Blues.
With his ebony hands on each ivory key
He made that poor piano moan with melody.
     O Blues!
Swaying to and fro on his rickety stool
He played that sad raggy tune like a musical fool.
     Sweet Blues!
Coming from a black man's soul.
     O Blues!
In a deep song voice with a melancholy tone
I heard that Negro sing, that old piano moan—
     "Ain't got nobody in all this world,
       Ain't got nobody but ma self.
       I's gwine to quit ma frownin'
       And put ma troubles on the shelf."

Thump, thump, thump, went his foot on the floor.
He played a few chords then he sang some more—
     "I got the Weary Blues
       And I can't be satisfied.
       Got the Weary Blues
       And can't be satisfied—
       I ain't happy no mo'
       And I wish that I had died."
And far into the night he crooned that tune.
The stars went out and so did the moon.
The singer stopped playing and went to bed
While the Weary Blues echoed through his head.
He slept like a rock or a man that's dead.


You can see the clear focus on rhythm and sound in this poem. It is also a good example because this poem is about jazz. That helps. However jazz poets did not die out with the Harlem Renaissance. Yusef Komunyakaa carries on the amazing tradition of jazz poetry to this day. 



Believing in Iron
  by Yusef Komunyakaa
The hills my brothers & I created
Never balanced, & it took years
To discover how the world worked.
We could look at a tree of blackbirds
& tell you how many were there,
But with the scrap dealer
Our math was always off.
Weeks of lifting & grunting
Never added up to much,
But we couldn't stop
Believing in iron.
Abandoned trucks & cars
Were held to the ground
By thick, nostalgic fingers of vines
Strong as a dozen sharecroppers.
We'd return with our wheelbarrow
Groaning under a new load, 
Yet tiger lilies lived better
In their languid, August domain.
Among paper & Coke bottles
Foundry smoke erased sunsets,
& we couldn't believe iron
Left men bent so close to the earth
As if the ore under their breath
Weighed down the gray sky.
Sometimes I dreamt how our hills
Washed into a sea of metal,
How it all became an anchor
For a warship or bomber
Out over trees with blooms
Too red to look at.


Yusef is a total boss. He is able to take this smokey and jazzy sound from 90 years ago and apply to topics a tad more contemporary. 

Let's practice Feel First with his poem, "Facing It." 

Facing It
  by Yusef Komunyakaa

My black face fades,
hiding inside the black granite.
I said I wouldn't,
dammit: No tears. 
I'm stone. I'm flesh.
My clouded reflection eyes me
like a bird of prey, the profile of night
slanted against morning. I turn
this way--the stone lets me go.
I turn that way--I'm inside
the Vietnam Veterans Memorial
again, depending on the light
to make a difference.
I go down the 58,022 names,
half-expecting to find
my own in letters like smoke.
I touch the name Andrew Johnson;
I see the booby trap's white flash.
Names shimmer on a woman's blouse
but when she walks away
the names stay on the wall.
Brushstrokes flash, a red bird's 
wings cutting across my stare.
The sky. A plane in the sky.
A white vet's image floats
closer to me, then his pale eyes
look through mine. I'm a window.
He's lost his right arm
inside the stone. In the black mirror
a woman's trying to erase names:
No, she's brushing a boy's hair.



The goal of Feel First is to recognize that poetry is a vehicle for emotion and the emotion is a vehicle for meaning. Let me put it this way, the poet employs specific techniques to create an emotion in you or evoke a sense or image. This emotion is intentional, and when you take the emotion to the poem you create meaning. That is where meaning in poetry comes from, not from symbolism and alliteration. It is in feeling.

Have a great long weekend, 
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose. 
Rory

No comments:

Post a Comment