Labels

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Psalms Project: Psalm 8

I am attempting to add more picture to the blog and I think this is relevant to the glories of God's creation.

The Psalm Project rages on. Now I am on Psalm 7 and 8 today. Here is my writing prompt based off of Psalm 8. It turned out well. Still fresh, certainly needs a rewrite or two, but loved where it went. Here is Psalm 8 as a refresher.

Psalm 8

For the director of music. According to gittith. A psalm of David.

1 Lord, our Lord,
    how majestic is your name in all the earth!
You have set your glory
    in the heavens.
2 Through the praise of children and infants
    you have established a stronghold against your enemies,
    to silence the foe and the avenger.
3 When I consider your heavens,
    the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars,
    which you have set in place,
4 what is mankind that you are mindful of them,
    human beings that you care for them?
5 You have made them a little lower than the angels
    and crowned them with glory and honor.
6 You made them rulers over the works of your hands;
    you put everything under their feet:
7 all flocks and herds,
    and the animals of the wild,
8 the birds in the sky,
    and the fish in the sea,
    all that swim the paths of the seas.
9 Lord, our Lord,
    how majestic is your name in all the earth!

I ended up loving the idea of God getting his fingers dirty like a potter from verse 3. The works of his fingers :) Here is where it went.

I Saw God Serving Barbecue in Memphis
-When I consider your heavens,
    the work of your fingers.
                                -Psalm 8:3
But then the smoke swept him away.
He was an old man now.
Salt and pepper hair and a black mustache
Tanned leather skin sinking of the bones.

The tips of his fingers were deftly
Catching each oozed drop of the sickly
Sweet sauce and coating and recoating

I think of his spirit smoldering,
Aging in the oven like angels in heaven
His leather skin sewn into the Pattern.
He cares for the pig with a tenderness
I crave between my teeth, yet he is not hasty.

He is weaving this meal into Memphis
Along with Beale Street and Rock and Roll.
Here the King is alive and he serves barbecue
Cascading off the bones and into my lap.
We will laugh with our mouths full and bibs on.


As once we were children, though we still starve.  


Have a great day, go get barbecue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment