I want you to click the link below, watch the video and then close your eyes during the whole time. Come up for air afterwards.
"Our ears are too small for our hearts, to understand the words inside."
wow .....
What a sentence. Does it make sense? Not necessarily. It is not a thinking sentence, it is a feeling sentence. Again, I cannot preach enough the idea that feeling comes first. It is so remarkably simple and basic. Be an infant. Feel first. Do not analyze your feelings, determine what you should feel, or debate if you like what you are feel.
There is a mystery and beauty in how these words move us. The images he paints in our minds are transformative. Taking kitchen knives and cutting out the scripture we have swallowed into our bellies? I have never seen that before but I have that image transfixed in my mind. It evokes a reaction from me. Desperation. Visceral neediness. A search. Pain. Blood. Red. I cringe at the thought but know that I have, in some form or another, done that exact thing. I have indeed been there.
That is what poetry is doing. It is making music out of paintings. Listen to the paint brush glide over your mind.
Need more practice? Here is another. Do not think about his agenda or theme. Hear his words. Envision them. Feel first. Eyes closed.
No comments:
Post a Comment