Here are some of what my mind and heart want to do lately.
A) Be a really good student at MTR. This focus wants me to spend all my free time reading and researching teaching methods and the education system/status here in Memphis.
B) Be popular with the other MTR Residents. This may sound very high school, but there is a desire to get to know my fellow residents, hang out with them often, learn their stories, and find a way to serve them. I want to go out to every event they plan and invite them over to my house.
C) Explore Memphis and get to know my new city. Memphis has a rich history and culture that I want to get to know and engage. I want to serve this city and I cannot serve my students until I understand what they are bringing into the classroom with them. I also just want to explore my new home and get an idea of where things are and how to get around in the city without needing my GPS 24/7.
D) Be an amazing husband. I am not unaware of Becah's situation in Memphis and I want to be a resource to her and offer resources to her for fellowship, love, emotional support, and give her extrovert an outlet. I want to be romantic with her and help her find friends and community here in Memphis.
I, unfortunately, cannot do all of these things. I do not have the time and every day approaching I get less and less free time. Soon I will be a full time workaholic and studyaholic. I am not scared, I am merely aware of the choices I will have to make soon.
I find in times like these it is best to focus on purpose. It is best to prioritize and ask things like, why am I here?
I am here to bring glory to God through serving the students of Memphis City to provide the best education to those who cannot financially compete. That is my mission statement.
That means my focus is option A. Yes, being popular and having friends is a good idea, but it will happen. Same with exploring Memphis. I do need to be intentional about my marriage but I also need to let go and understand that God is my wife's true emotional support system. She is a big girl and got along just fine without me for 27 whole years.
My hope is to go through Scripture for a few weeks and focus on nothing but purpose. What is God calling me to do? Is it to act justly, love kindness, and walk humbly with my God? Is it to set the captives free? Is it to love the least of these brothers and sisters? Where is God's call on my life and how can I serve him and not myself? He is the author of this story and I need to fall in line with Master's pen once again. He called me here and he will sort me out.
No comments:
Post a Comment