It has been a very long four days, but it goes something like this.
On Tuesday we discover that our U-haul is smaller than we anticipated after we pick up the U-haul 4 hours after we anticipated. Running behind. Discover we may have to discard about half of our stuff. Wife has nervous breakdown. My brother and friend, Nate, help me to load most of the truck. More fits than anticipated. My mom appears and decides it is her mission in life to fill in all of our possessions into the truck. Some kind of reverse nesting. Primal instinct overcomes the laws of physics and Becah and Mom fit everything into the car and the truck. We go to bed at 2 AM.
Wake up at 9 AM, take showers, eat super delicious breakfast that my father makes. The man dearly loves me and displays this through the ecstasy of biscuits and gravy. We hitch car onto U-haul. Harder than it looks. Leave around 1 PM. It was way harder than it looked.
Arrive in Staunton at 3 PM. Have lunch with the Freesens. Acquire kitten named Sullivan.
Discover we have to back truck down the super long and narrow driveway. Discover car does not go backwards with tow dolly because dolly jackknifes like a madman. Guy Freesen drives truck into cow pasture to do go in a circle so we can turn around. Leave at 5 PM. Took way longer than we thought. Guy fills the truck with gas and our Matrix. Buys us coffee. Reverse nesting = profit.
Stupidly think that Knoxville is 5 hours from Staunton. It is 7 hours. Take the long way through West Virginia. Have to do 40 mph going up mountains. Lots of mountains. Kitty poops on Becah. Arrive in Knoxville at 2 AM. Talk with Tyler until 4:30 AM. Sleep.
Wake up at 7 AM. Actually leave on time. Get Starbucks. todayislookingup.org Get Subway. Creepy trucker guy stares us down and stalks us out of restaurant. Kitty pees on Becah's pillow. Arrive in Knoxville early at 2:30 PM.
Then God shows up. MTR shows up. In a weekend of just terrible turns, things look up. We arrive at Georgian Woods with all of our possessions that took us 7 hours to load into the car with 3 people. 10 MTR residents and graduates show up to help us unload our truck. It takes 30 minutes. We return the truck easily and calmly. It is a refreshing afternoon. We take a shower, and go to the welcome banquet. There I am able to chat with and meet my lovely mentor, Brittany Clark, and her former resident and super awesome 2013 graduate, Amy Barger.
Becah and I head home, set up our bed and coffee pot (the essentials) and head to bed. The next morning is orientation. My first day of work. I am super excited.
It turns out the excitement is worth it. I love these people. I love this city. I love MTR. I love being able to sit down and talk about Christ, or my wife, or teaching and it feel natural and loving. I think this is what the kingdom of God will feel like. Or at least is a taste of it. I got all my textbooks for the year and I am excited to start working on it. I am ready to learn and start to tear this scene apart :)
TL.DR: We have arrive and I have never been more excited.
No comments:
Post a Comment