Labels

Friday, September 27, 2013

A Lesson From Math

I get to add to my toolbox of teaching ideas and methods that I would like to have in my classroom. I had the privilege of spending time this Monday observing Math teachers as well spending time in our English Methods course on Saturdays. I have learned a lot of practical need tricks to add to the classroom I am designing in my head for next year.

From Math:
In a Math classroom I had to focus a lot on classroom leadership, classroom layout, routines and procedures, and rewards and consequences rather than content. So here are some groovy tricks I learned.

Mathlete of the Week - I loved this idea. At the beginning of the week someone is selected to be the Mathlete of the Week. This person is selected arbitrarily. Students may receive it for perfect attendance, effort, tutoring, behavior, or performance. This person is given a special desk in the corner of the room with a comfy, rolling and spinning desk chair. The student also gets their name put up in the classroom with the other Mathletes of the Week (A MOTW is chosen for each period) and gets to sit at the desk all week. I love it.

Pizza and Wings Party - This is a method to encourage attendance. All students start each 9 weeks with their name on the board. If they miss a day of class unexcused, are tardy unexcused, or leave the class for something like the bathroom, their name is removed from the list. At the end of the 9 weeks, students still on the list get a pizza and wings party thrown for them at lunch. I do not think it is a guarantee of attendance but it is a cool idea and I'd be interested to see the extrinsic motivation at work.

Handouts & Guided Practice - Math teachers are experts at handouts and guided practice. This breaks down the gradual release and the I Do, We Do, You Do. Essentially they begin with a short guided notes explaining the concept. It moves to two teacher modeled "think alouds." Next is group practice followed by independent practice. The class almost runs itself as the teacher passes the baton of knowledge off to the students and allows them to grapple with it. It is beautiful.

From English Methods:
Backwards Based Planning means Kick Ass Assessments - This is actually the fun part. In my honors class we created a project for the end of Catcher in the Rye where students are doing a research project on the mental illnesses. They will then write a research paper where they "diagnose" Holden with a mental illness and provide evidence from the text. This is a pretty great assessment. We can work backwards from this place to understand what they need to know to be able to successfully complete this assessment. I am learning that instead of spending my creativity on activities (which I will inevitably) I should focus my creativity on assessments and work backwards.

Tomorrow is more English Methods, so I will undoubtedly learn more.

No comments:

Post a Comment