Labels

Monday, September 2, 2013

A Good Rest

Greetings from Knoxville, I write from the couch of one of my best friends in the whole world, Tyler.

I cannot stress how nice it is to have four days where I don't worry about my lesson plan for next week. I don't concern myself what projects or papers are due in my coursework for Friday or Saturday. At this moment, I can focus on those around me, those I care about, and enjoying myself.

I am devouring Percy Jackson & The Olympians at a pleasurable but not indigestion-causing rate. I am on Sea of Monsters this weekend. The book will be finished by the time I get back to Memphis. Reading for fun, pure pleasure, is one of the greatest things in the world.



I am also enjoying Knoxville's expansive and delectable options for cuisine. I enjoy good food and so does Knoxville as apparently something like half of their economy is based on restaurants. That isn't factual information. It is purely based on the staggering number of restaurants one sees while driving around Knoxville. Lots of food. I'm okay with that.

Also, Tyler brings great conversations. Becah brings great conversations. Combined, I get to hear fantastic conversations. We go from traditional medicine vs eastern/natural medicine explorations to Global Warming and technology innovations, we swing back around for a quick dabble in SolForge, and finally discuss space exploration. IN A SINGLE EVENING. We also laid seeds for future discussions on the necessity of postsecondary education, the purpose of standardized tests, and the value of differential equations. Flawless.

The next day was followed with some EDH glory. I missed Magic:The Gathering greatly and getting back into the room with cards in my hands was wonderful. Yes I did rage quit a bit against a mono-black deck that went against us in the final game, but other than that it was super fun. Also in our second game I did pull out a win through the sheer power of Sneak Attack.

The evening got real saucy when we went to Jump Jam. This is a trampoline park where most of the floor is a trampoline. I am a novice trampoliner, having only been on a trampoline once before this experience. New techniques I tried and struggled with were bouncing and then landing on my back or butt and bouncing back up onto my feet. I enjoyed that but mostly could not regain my feet. I also struggled with bouncing forward between the squares in the picture below. One time I bounced four in a row in single bounds but then landed in the final square, skidded, and slammed my head into the padding between the trampolines. They are not well padded. Finally I endeavored to do a flip on a trampoline. I built up the nerve and tried one time to land mostly on my head. I left the building with my head ringing and being a little dizzy from the trauma to my skull, but as of this morning I am fine.



I was rather sore the next morning. My abs are still very grumpy with me. The day goes on with Becah preparing a lovely lunch for us, including a wonderful duplication of garlic knots. Seriously, wives take note and ask for the recipe. We then went and saw The Butler.



Made me cry. First time I have cried since Marley & Me. Beautiful and moving depiction of the cost of the Civil Rights Movement in people's lives as well as a really moving Father/Son relationship movie.

We end up the day with The Cheesecake Factory. Ahi Tuna Tartare, Filet Mignon, Banana Cream Cheesecake. Like. For real. I would like to thank Sam, for guiding me through this wonderful and extensive menu to a delicious and expertly selected culinary experience, as well as Tyler, for treating us. (Treat Yo Self!)



All in all the weekend has been amazing. I have been blessed by Tyler and Donovan for their hospitality. I have been blessed by my wife who has helped make this relaxing and given me this time. I feel rejuvenated and refreshed. I am so happy to be in September and to dig deeper into this school year with my students and coursework.

Let's do this.


No comments:

Post a Comment