Labels

Sunday, March 9, 2014

The Long Con

My Russian friend once asked me what I meant by the phrase, "the long con."
I told him it meant that one day people will consider me accomplished.
Strangers will pat me on the back and sophisticated women will
Invite me to parties I can't afford. My ragged clothing will be called
‘Avant-garde.’ Students will ask me questions and expect me to have answers
Instead of the lies and guesses I grade them on. Elesha will still be confused
That when I say "never trust a man in a tie," I mean every word of it.
And yes, I own a mirror. I own as many mirrors as I can.
 I see myself in every spark of creation, broken and groaning out for
Something authentic. I must remain vigilant to my own charade,
lest the long con succeed, lest I become distinguished and respected.
Then I will know for sure that they lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment